Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Great Chicago Rain: An Elim Moment

Three weeks ago, Chicago was deluged with a major thunderstorm, including a few funnel clouds. In the midst of this storm, Rene Bamonti, a very dedicated and loving Elim staff member, was transporting many of our adults to and from their community jobs. Here are her reflections on that afternoon's adventure:

A couple of weeks ago when we had that terrible storm on a Thursday night, I was driving in it the entire time, trying to pick up clients that work evenings and get them home safely.

There were roads flooded, traffic lights out, debris flying through the air, traffic was practically at a standstill at times. By the end of the evening, when I finally arrived safely back at the Alsip campus, it was still storming so badly that I was afraid to get out of my car. The rain was coming down in torrents, lightning was flashing, and the thunder was so loud!

Then I had to drive all the way home in it. Needless to say, it made for a very long and scary evening at work. The next morning when I was picking up Lucy Toering (an adult client at Elim) to take her to work, she told me immediately that she had been praying for me the night before, because she knew that I was out driving in the storm. I told her that her prayers must have been heard and answered, because I and all of my passengers and fellow drivers made it through those few anxious hours without a scratch. Lucy thought to pray for me, and that was a blessing.

Rene was blessed by Lucy's thoughtfulness, just as so many people have been blessed to come alongside Elim, knowing that their support is really changing lives.

Oh sure, I can say this - I'm in charge of raising funds, so I'm supposed to say that, but reader, I believe in what Elim is doing to my very core, because I see the difference it makes. Lucy should be concerned about herself and the difficulties of her life with its disabilities. But she's not - she is praying for a staff member because she has been welcomed in the kingdom of Christ on earth. You, when you support Elim are making this happen.

Thank you. And if you aren't supporting Elim already - what are you waiting for? We need you today!

No comments: