Friday, November 2, 2007

Today's Blessing: Michael (at Misericordia)

Neal Steinberg, a writer for the Chicago Sun-Times, writes today of a little "slice of heaven" he found at Misericordia.

Misericordia is a ministry much like Elim. They focus much more on residential services, and most of their day program focuses on serving adults - but clearly, they also experience the same message that we do here at Elim: We bless them. They bless us. Together, we honor God. Here is an excerpt from the end of Mr. Steinberg's article (I hope you'll click here to read all of it):

'He's a blessing'
When I ask Chris Patarzzi what benefit comes from his daily visits to Michael, I mean what benefit to his brother.
But that's not how Chris takes the question -- he assumes I mean what benefit to himself.
"It has brought me closer to him in ways that never would have happened," he says. "Little parts of his personality that I pick up on that I'd miss if I visited once a month. I can tell when he's happy, I can tell when he's sad."
His brother isn't a burden, he says. He's a blessing.
"He's helping the family," he says. "Our family was really close, before, but Michael has brought us closer. The last 10 years of my life would not have happened without him."

Thank you Mr. Steinberg for being among those whose eyes are open to the blessings that people with disabilities - created by God - are meant to be in this life.

No comments: